Tuesday, October 25, 2016

comparison

Question: how often do you compare your life with the lives of those around you?

   Comparison is common. I think it comes as naturally to us as breathing sometimes. Our jobs, education, finances, personalities, talents and abilities, callings, families, looks, experiences…

You name it, we’ve probably compared it.

   Galatians chapter 6, verses 4 and 5 speak to this topic, and I think it’s worth noting:
“Each person should judge his own actions and not compare himself with others. Then he can be proud for what he himself has done. Each person must be responsible for himself.”

   So basically, Scripture doesn’t speak of comparison in a positive light. Why do you think that is?

   I have a few ideas…

   First, when I compare myself with someone, and I feel that I come out lacking as a result, it causes insecurity and envy within me. I start thinking that, “Man, I just don’t have as exciting of a life and this person”, or, “that person is just so talented compared to me.” And so on. Before long, I find myself unhappy with myself and my life. Then comes jealousy. When we are unhappy with our own lives, we look to others and crave theirs. We all know that one of the 10 Commandments is “thou shalt not covet.”

The first result of comparison isn’t a good one.

   Second, comparing ourselves with others can lead to pride. Obviously if you think your life is better than someone else’s (because you have a higher GPA, a more stable family, better finances, etc.) it’s going lead to arrogance. I’ve noticed that even in the church, we can have a kind of spiritual arrogance that can crop up. I don’t know about you, but I’ve come across several “holier than thou” individuals in my lifetime. Even worse, I’ve been one at times. It’s so easy when you’ve grown up in the church to get up on your high horse and think that because you’re doing all of the “right things”, you’re better than those who are new to this whole Christianity thing, and especially those who aren’t believers at all.

   Scripture has something to say to this. Romans12:3 says, “For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.”

   We have to pause and remember who we were before Christ entered our lives, and think of where we would be without Him now. We are no better than anyone else. 2 Corinthians 10:17 instructs, "If you want to boast, boast only about the LORD.” In other words, any holiness in our lives is not us; it’s all Him. The next time you start thinking you're better than someone else, I urge you to remember that we are all broken and sinful people who must rely on the Lord for our next breath, let alone any good things flowing out of us. None of us is any better or more righteous than the other.

   Finally, when we compare, we often compare things in our lives that don’t truly matter in light of Eternity. The whole purpose for us being on earth is to live for Eternity and build God’s Kingdom here. The point of our lives isn’t to ONLY get a degree, make money, have a family, and have nice things. It’s about serving God and sharing Him with others. So if we aren’t careful, we’ll find ourselves focusing on chasing something that is only temporal and won’t matter for eternity. That is dangerous. Instead of allowing ourselves to be distracted in this way, we must keep our eyes on things above (Colossians 3:2).

   When we are faced with the temptation to compare ourselves with other people, may we stop and remember that no good flows out of it. Let us instead give our time and energy to things that will bring good into this world. I encourage you to pray each time you are faced with this temptation, just as I will exhort myself to do the same.

May God grant us grace to honor Him in this way!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are so honored and humbled to have Ali back for another year as a blog writer. Last year, her posts, "Can We Stop the Lies?" and "Owning an Imperfect Life" were some of the most highly read posts. We so appreciate you Ali and are so thankful for you and all of our blog writers time and dedication! If you would like to connect more with any of our blog team you can do so HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment